Would you like to know the exact topics in the syllabus where all your WAEC Geography questions will come from?
In this Library…
You will see and download your current WAEC syllabus for Geography theory practical and objective examination for SSCE and GCE this year.
There will be three papers, Papers 1, 2 and 3 all of which must be taken. Papers 1 and 2 will be a composite paper to be taken at one sitting.
PAPER 1: will consist of fifty objective questions to be taken in 1 hour for 50 marks. The questions will be drawn from topics in the syllabus that are common to all the member countries. Candidates will be required to attempt all the questions.
PAPER 2: will contain nine essay-type questions out of which candidates will be required to answer four in 2 hours for 80 marks.
It will be made up of two sections; Sections A and B for candidates in Nigeria to attempt four questions in all, choosing two questions from each of Sections A and B.
- Section A: Economic and Human Geography — This will consist of three essay-type questions on Economic and Human Geography. Candidates in Nigeria will be required to attempt any two of them.
- Section B: Regional Geography of Candidate’s Home Country — There will be a set of three essay-type questions on Regional Geography on each of Ghana, Liberia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone and The Gambia. Candidates in Nigeria will be required to answer two of the questions on their country.
PAPER 3: Element of Practical and Physical Geography — Will consist of eight essay-type questions out of which candidates are to answer four in 1 hour 50 minutes for 70 marks.
Question 1, on map reading and interpretation, will be compulsory for all candidates and will carry 25 marks while the other questions will carry 15 marks each.
Candidates are advised not to spend more than 35 minutes on Question 1.
Candidates will be expected to bring graduated rulers (both metric and imperial), a complete mathematical set, a piece of string and a simple non-programmable calculator for use during the writing of the paper.
WAEC Geography syllabus
The PDF version of this WAEC syllabus for Geography is available for your free download at the bottom of this Library.
1. Element of Practical and Physical Geography
- Map work
- Geographic Information System (GIS)
- Statistical maps and diagrams
- Elements of Physical Geography
- Tectonic processes
- Denudational processes
- Weather and climate
- Climate change
- The Environment
- Environmental resources
- Environmental problems/hazards
- Environmental conservation
2. Economic and Human Geography
- World population
3. Regional Geography of Nigeria
- Nigeria on broad outline
- Physical setting
- Issues on development and environmental concerns
- Geopolitical issues
4. Regional Geography of Africa
- Africa on broad outline
- Selected topics;
- Irrigation agriculture
- Plantation agriculture
- Oil production
- Gold mining
- Copper mining
5. Field work
This aspect will be examined by your school as part of the continuous assessment.
- Land use (rural or urban):
- rural – crop farming (e.g. rice, cocoa, etc. )
- urban crop farming
- mining (e.g. coal, tin, petroleum etc.), fishing.
- urban – commercial activities, ports, factories, recreational etc.
- Market survey – rural or urban.
- Traffic flow – rural or urban.
- Patterns of journey to work – rural or urban.
- Rate of erosion in the locality, etc.
Download WAEC syllabus for Geography PDF
Click on the link below to start your instant download of the WAEC Geography syllabus now.
Do you have something to ask on this WAEC syllabus for Geography? Comment below and a staff or fellow Topper will reply you.Let others know