Current WAEC Syllabus For Further Mathematics (+PDF)
Would you like to know the exact topics in the syllabus where all your WAEC Further Mathematics questions will come from?
In this Library…
You will see and download your current WAEC syllabus for Further Mathematics theory and objective examination for SSCE and GCE this year.
There will be two papers, Papers 1 and 2, both of which must be taken.
PAPER 1: will consist of forty multiple-choice objective questions, covering the entire syllabus. Candidates will be
required to answer all questions in 1 hours for 40 marks. The questions will be drawn from the sections of the syllabus as follows:
- Pure Mathematics – 30 questions
- Statistics and probability – 4 questions
- Vectors and Mechanics – 6 questions
PAPER 2: will consist of two sections, Sections A and B, to be answered in 2 hours for 100 marks.
- Section A: will consist of eight compulsory questions that are elementary in type for 48 marks. The questions shall be distributed as follows:
- Pure Mathematics – 4 questions
- Statistics and Probability – 2 questions
- Vectors and Mechanics – 2 questions
- Section B: Will consist of seven questions of greater length and difficulty put into three parts: Parts I, II and III as follows:
- Part I: Pure Mathematics – 3 questions
- Part II: Statistics and Probability – 2 questions
- Part III: Vectors and Mechanics – 2 questions
Candidates will be required to answer four questions with at least one from each part for 52 marks.
WAEC Further Mathematics syllabus
The PDF version of this WAEC syllabus for Further Mathematics is available for your free download at the bottom of this Library.
- Idea of a set defined by a property, Set notations and their meanings.
- Disjoint sets, Universal set and complement of set
- Venn diagrams, Use of sets and Venn diagrams to solve problems.
- Commutative and Associative laws, Distributive properties over union and intersection.
- Surds of the form, a/√b, a√b and a+b√n where a is rational, b is a positive integer and n is not a perfect square.
3. Binary Operations
- Associativity and Distributivity,
- Identity elements and inverses.
4. Logical Reasoning
- Rule of syntax:
- true or false statements,
- rule of logic applied to arguments,
- implications and deductions.
- The truth table
- Domain and co-domain of a function
- One-to-one, onto, identity and constant mapping.
- Inverse of a function
- Composite of functions
6. Polynomial Functions
- Linear Functions, Equations and Inequality
- Quadratic functions, Equations and Inequality
- Cubic functions and equations
7. Rational Functions
- Rational functions of the form Q(x) = f(x)/g(x), g(x) ≠ 0 where g(x) and f(x) are polynomials.
- Resolution of rational functions into partial fractions
8. Indices and Logarithmic Functions
9. Permutation And Combinations
- Simple cases of arrangements
- Simple case of selection of objects
10. Binomial Theorem
- Expansion of (a + b)n. Use of (1+x)n ≈ 1+nx for any rational n, where x is sufficiently small. e.g (0.998)1/3
11. Sequences and Series
- Finite and Infinite sequences
- Linear sequence/Arithmetic Progression (A.P.)
- Exponential sequence/Geometric Progression (G.P)
12. Matrices and Linear Transformation
- Inverse of 2×2 matrices
- Linear transformation
- Trigonometric Ratios and Rules
- Compound and Multiple angles
- Trigonometric Functions and Equations
14. Coordinate Geometry
- Straight line
- Conic section
- The idea of a limit
- Derivative of a function
- Differentiation of polynomial
- Differentiation of Trigonometric functions
- Product and Quotient rule.
- Differentiation of implicit functions such as ax2 + by2 = c
- Differentiation of Transcendental functions
- Second order derivatives and rates of changes and small changes
- Concept of Maxima and Minima
- Indefinite integral
- Definite integral
- Applications of the Definite Integral
Statistics and Probability
- Tabulation and Graphical representation of data
- Measures of location
- Measures of dispersion
- Meaning of Probability
- Relative frequency
- Calculation of Probability using simple sample spaces
- Addition and multiplication of probabilities
- Probability distributions
Vectors and Mechanics
- Definitions of scalar and vector Quantities.
- Representation of vectors
- Algebra of vectors
- Cumulative, Associative and Distributive properties
- Unit vectors
- Position vectors
- Resolution and composition of vectors
- Scalar (dot) product and its application
- Vector (cross) product and its application
- Definition of force
- Representation of forces
- Composition and resolution of coplanar forces acting at a point.
- Composition and resolution of general coplanar forces on a rigid bodies
- Equilibrium of bodies
- Determinant of resultants
- Moment of forces
- The concepts of motion
- Equations of motion
- The impulse and momentum equations
Download WAEC syllabus for Further Mathematics PDF
Click on the link below to start your instant download of the WAEC Further Mathematics syllabus now.
Do you have something to ask on this WAEC syllabus for Further Mathematics? Comment below and a staff or fellow Topper will reply you.