If you desire to gain admission without the stress of writing post UTME, here are the schools for you.
Although these schools do not write post UTME, they still require your JAMB result and a minimum of five (5) credits in your O-level for their admission.
SEE ALSO: How to gain admission without writing JAMB
How these schools admit students without writing Post UTME
All the schools listed above do not conduct post UTME for their aspirants, however, what they do instead is to offer their admissions based on the criteria below.
- O-level result
- UTME score
- Course competition
- Catchment area
- Available space
1. O-level result
O-level is short for Ordinary level which include any of your WAEC or NECO.
After submitting your application online or in person, those required subjects for your course will be calculated according to their grades in your O-level result.
Note: The points for each grade depends on the school.
If you meet their required O-level points for your course, next assessment will be your JAMB result.
2. UTME score
UTME is short for Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination which is the exam that JAMB conducts.
After submitting your application, your UTME score will be taken into consideration. Depending on the school, your UTME will be calculated per subject score or in total.
3. Course competition
Course competition is determined by the rate at which other aspirants are applying for that particular course.
If many students are vying for one course, that course is said to be competitive and therefore the requirements for that course will be increased to filter out the less qualified and admit only the best students.
If the course is less competitive, the requirements will be lowered to allow for more admission of aspirants.
4. Catchment area
Catchment area refers to the geographical location of the school.
It cuts across the neighbouring States which are around the exact State where the school is located.
Catchment areas of UNILAG starts with Lagos (of course) then Oyo, Osun, Ogun, Ondo and Ekiti.
This does not mean that the school will not admit students outside their catchment area, and neither does it mean automatic admission for students within their catchment areas.
Students within the catchment areas are given special considerations like lower cutoff marks.
If you are an indigene of a State and you apply for a school located in that State, you are more likely to be considered for admission over a non-indigene provided you have met other requirements.
Indigeneship is almost the same as catchment area, except that catchment areas consider other neighbouring States while indigeneship is all about the exact State where the school is located.
6. Available space
Every faculty and its departments have their different capacities for the number of students that they can cater for.
These schools that do not write post UTME consider the carrying capacity of their faculties and departments for admitting news students.
Universities that do not write post UTME
- Ambrose Alli University (AAU) Ekpoma
- Ekiti State University (EKSU)
- Osun State University, Osogbo (UNIOSUN)
- Lagos State University (LASU)
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University (ATBU)
- Kwara State University (KWASU)
- Federal University of Oye Ekiti (FUOYE)
- Cross Rivers State University (CRUTECH)
- Ebonyi State University (EBSU)
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
Polytechnics & colleges that do not write post UTME
- Osun State Polytechnic Iree
- Osun State College of Technology, Esa Oke
- Osun State College of Education, Ila-orangun
- Federal Polytechnic Offa
- The Polytechnic Ibadan
- Oke Ogun Polytechnic, Saki Oyo State
- Ibarapa Polytechnic Eruwa, Oyo State
- Federal College of Agriculture, Moor Plantation Ibadan
- Adeyemi College of Education, Ondo
- Federal College of Education (Special) Oyo
How to improve your chances of gaining admission into these schools that do not write post UTME
Knowing all their admission criteria listed above, here is how you can improve your chances of gaining admission into any of these schools that do not write post UTME.
- Have a good O-level result with the minimum of B’s in the required subjects for your course
- Score above 200 in your UTME for Universities and 180 for Polytechnics
- Apply for courses with less competition
- Consider the catchment areas of the course in the school
- Apply for schools within your State or your region.
- Be among the first to submit your application when the post UTME form is out for your school.
Some of these schools that do not write post UTME may demand your physical presence to verify your credentials.
After submitting your application on their online portal, stay alert for their feedback through SMS, email or their official website.