Have you taken our free English lesson on comprehension and would like to test yourself?
In this test,
You will see and practice real past questions on comprehension passage from an English examination.
ALSO SEE: How To Answer Comprehension Questions
Read the passage below carefully and answer the questions that follows.
Like all reptiles, snakes are cold-blooded, or more correctly, ectodermic – they cannot produce their own body heat; instead, they rely on the sun to heat their bodies.
Because they do not rely on energy from food to generate body heat; snakes can survive on an extremely meagre diet.
Some wait for months between successive meals and a few survive by eating a large meal just once or twice a year.
When they do eat, snakes swallow their prey whole rather than biting off small pieces.
Many snakes have specialized jaws that enable them to swallow animals that are far larger than their own heads.
Although uncommon, some snakes, such as the African rock python, have been observed eating animals as large as an antelope or a small cow.
With over two thousand five hundred species belonging to more than ten families, snakes are large and successful group.
They owe much of this success to their versatility snakes occupy habitat ranging from underground burrows to the top of the tree, to ocean depths as great as one hundred and fifty meters.
They are found on every continent except Antarctica, and although they are most abundant in tropical areas, many survive in regions marked by extreme cold.
The only places without snakes are parts of the Polar Regions and isolated islands, such as the republic of Ireland and New-Zealand as opposed to places in Nigeria like plateau and Gombe states in the northern parts where there is a large population of snakes.
1. It can be inferred from the passage that snakes are ____
- A. Heterogeneous creatures
- B. Voracious cow eaters
- C. Great insect eaters
- D. Homogeneous reptiles
2. The most notable thing about snakes, according to the passage, is that they ____
- A. Abound in gombe and plateau state
- B. Are versatile in reproduction
- C. Eat big but seldom
- D. Exist in families
3. Which of the following is true according to the passage?
- A. Snakes are not in the polar region
- B. Snakes are endemic on every continent
- C. There are countless number of snakes in the republic of Ireland
- D. Snakes are seldom seen at the Antarctica
4. It can be deduced from the passage that snakes have ____
- A. No external auditory organ
- B. Visible internal locomotive organs
- C. No visual sense of measurement
- D. Large appetite for antelopes
5. A suitable title for this passage is ____
- A. Feeding habits of snakes
- B. Some characteristics of snakes
- C. Snakes as legless, cold-blooded reptiles
- D. Species of snakes in Nigeria and other lands
Check your answers
Comment below with the options you chose for each question and a staff or fellow Topper will confirm if your answers are correct.Let others know