Would you like to know the exact topics in the syllabus where all your JAMB Mathematics questions will come from?
In this Library…
You will see the current JAMB syllabus for Mathematics with the PDF version available for your free download.
ALSO SEE: Complete JAMB Syllabus For All Subjects
The PDF version of this syllabus is available for your free download at the bottom of this Library.
See JAMB Mathematics syllabus
This JAMB syllabus for Mathematics is to prepare you for the JAMB exam by testing you in the following Mathematics topics:
SECTION I: Number and Numeration
1. Number bases:
- operations in different number bases from 2 to 10;
- conversion from one base to another including fractional parts.
2. Fractions, Decimals, Approximations and Percentages:
- fractions and decimals;
- significant figures;
- decimal places;
- percentage errors;
- simple interest;
- profit and loss percent;
- ratio, proportion and rate;
- shares and valued added tax (VAT).
3. Indices, Logarithms and Surds:
- laws of indices;
- standard form;
- laws of logarithm;
- logarithm of any positive number to a given base;
- change of bases in logarithm and application;
- relationship between indices and logarithm;
- types of sets.
- algebra of sets.
- Venn diagrams and their applications.
SECTION II: Algebra
- change of subject of formula.
- factor and remainder theorems.
- factorization of polynomials of degree not exceeding 3.
- multiplication and division of polynomials.
- roots of polynomials not exceeding degree 3.
- simultaneous equations including one linear, one quadratic;
- graphs of polynomials of degree not greater than 3.
- percentage increase and decrease.
- analytical and graphical solutions of linear inequalities;
- quadratic inequalities with integral roots only.
- nth term of a progression.
- sum of A. P. and G. P.
5. Binary Operations:
- properties of closure, commutativity, associativity and distributivity;
- identity and inverse elements (simple cases only).
6. Matrices and Determinants:
- algebra of matrices not exceeding 3 x 3;
- determinants of matrices not exceeding 3 x 3;
- inverses of 2 x 2 matrices [excluding quadratic and higher degree equations].
SECTION III: Geometry and Trigonometry
1. Euclidean Geometry:
- Properties of angles and lines.
- Polygons: triangles, quadrilaterals and general polygons;
- Circles: angle properties, cyclic quadrilaterals and intersecting chords;
- lengths and areas of plane geometrical figures;
- lengths of arcs and chords of a circle;
- Perimeters and areas of sectors and segments of circles;
- surface areas and volumes of simple solids and composite figures;
- the earth as a sphere: longitudes and latitudes.
- locus in 2 dimensions based on geometric principles relating to lines and curves.
4. Coordinate Geometry:
- midpoint and gradient of a line segment;
- distance between two points;
- parallel and perpendicular lines;
- equations of straight lines.
- trigonometrical ratios of angles;
- angles of elevation and depression;
- areas and solutions of triangle;
- graphs of sine and cosine;
- sine and cosine formulae.
SECTION IV: Calculus
- limit of a function.
- differentiation of explicit algebraic and simple trigonometrical functions –
2. Application of differentiation:
- rate of change;
- maxima and minima.
- integration of explicit algebraic and simple trigonometrical functions;
- area under the curve.
SECTION V: Statistics
1. Representation of data:
- frequency distribution;
- histogram, bar chart and pie chart.
2. Measures of Location:
- mean, mode and median of ungrouped and grouped data – (simple cases only);
- cumulative frequency.
3. Measures of Dispersion:
- Range, mean deviation, variance and standard deviation.
4. Permutation and Combination:
- Linear and circular arrangements;
- Arrangements involving repeated objects.
- experimental probability (tossing of coin, throwing of a dice etc);
- Addition and multiplication of probabilities (mutual and independent cases).
Download JAMB syllabus for Mathematics PDF
Click on the link below to start your instant download of the WAEC mathematics syllabus now.
Do you have something to add to or ask on this JAMB syllabus for Mathematics? Comment below and a staff or fellow Topper will reply you.Let others know